2007年7月14日土曜日

Into the Typhoon

Today we boarded the bullet train from Hachioji to Kobe. We arrived in Kobe early afternoon, and the Typhoon is to hit in the night time and continue until late Sunday. My hotel room on the 14th floor looks out into the bay - so I will get a 1st hand look at the eye of the Typhoon. Hopefully Okinowa slowed it down some.


The Bullet Train (Shinkansen (新幹線)) was AMAZING. It is so smooth and quiet - it is hard to imagine that you are traveling at over 100MPH. While we were waiting at the station, several trains buzzed the station (they did not stop or slow down). The 1st time was frightening as I have never been standing within 10 feet of a train going THAT fast. You can actually feel the air coming before you hear or see it. In less that 4 seconds it has come and gone!


Fortunately it is a holiday weekend and all of the economy seats were sold out - so we just "had" to get the premium seats. It was pretty nice. I had a hard time getting photos of the scenery because by the time I saw it - it was gone! It was also overcast because of the arriving Tyhpoon - so the pictures will seem dim. In the country-side there was more of an abundance of traditional" architecture. It was neat to see - I just wish the photos could have captured it.


I spotted a submarine out of my hotel window - probably avoiding the storm.


My view of the ocean - hopefully that is as bad as it will get.


Pictures from the shinkansen








Coke in an aluminum bottle






0 件のコメント: